One of the most common requests we’ve received from users since launching RealTime Reports is the addition of Report Based Security. Districts and schools need a way to easily view and manage the reports a particular user can access.
With Report Based Security, administrative-level users can now easily control access permissions for Realtime Reports modules for specific users.
Getting started is simple - follow the outlined steps below!
Enabling Report Based Security
**Note: Updating the Level Data Core Schema plug-in to version 5.0.0. is required to properly configure Report Based Security**
There are several options that can be used to perform the core plugin update. Please select the method you most prefer from the list below:
- Guided Installation Webinar with Level Data Expert
- Full-Service Level Data Installation
Once the new plug-in has been installed and enabled, you’ll see a badge in the top-right corner of the RealTime Reports Dashboard labeled Security.
In order to access the RealTime Reports Security Page, a user must have access to both the System and Field Level Security Pages. (admin/tech and admin/fieldlevelsecurity/getFieldLevelSecurityTableData.action)
Note: The new Security Link will be visible even if the new plugin has not been installed, but it will not be active. Clicking the Security link will return the following message:
Using Roles to Configure Report Based Security
We strongly recommend using PowerSchool’s Roles Administration to update Report Based Security. Because RealTime Reports is organized by category, creating individual roles for each category - Attendance, Demographics, Enrollment, Funding, Grading, and Incidents/Logs - helps to ensure maximum flexibility and usability.
Configuring Report Based Security using Roles:
1. Go to Start > System > Roles Administration > User Access
A. Select User Access.
2. Click New in the top-right corner.
B. Include a short description to identify the use of the Role.
C. The new Role is enabled by selecting the checkbox located to the right of the description.
D. Do not associate this group to a Security Group.
E. Click “Submit” to save.
Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to create a new Role for each category.
Assigning Security to Individual Reports
The newly created User Roles are ready to be applied to individual reports. Follow these steps to associate each new role with a report.
How to Apply User Reports to Reports
1. Navigate to RealTime Reports from the PowerSchool Start Page to access the Dashboard.
2. Locate and select the Security button in the top right corner.
3. Click on the Edit icon for the report to be updated.
4. Under User Access Settings, click on the Edit icon for Full Access
5. Select the desired User Access Role from the list of available roles. As an example, for Attendance Reports, select the check box for RTR Attendance. Click OK.
6. For the section labeled Everyone Else, select No Access.
7. Click Submit to save.
Repeat steps 1-8 for each report to apple User Roles to each report.
Assigning Roles to Individual Users
With Security Access configured for each report, you’re now ready to assign the Roles to individual users.
How to Assign Roles to Individual Users:
1. From the PowerSchool Start Page click on Staff.
2. Select the Staff member you wish to update.
3. Select Security Settings from the Staff screen.
4. Navigate to the Admin Access and Roles tab. Next locate and select the Roles and Schools section.
5. In the Roles and School section apply the appropriate RTR Roles to EACH school the user will need to access.
6. Click the Add button.
7. Step 1: For Schools, select all appropriate schools for a user and then click Next.
8. Step 2: For Roles, select Use All Roles. Then select all appropriate Roles to be applied.
9. Click OK, then select Submit to save the settings
Note: Once access permissions have been updated, users may need to end their
current session and log back in to PowerSchool to see the updated permissions.
Users can see all reports displayed on the RealTime Reports dashboard, but can only select/run those reports allowed by their individual access permissions.
Reports that a User does not have access to use will display a Lock icon.